This quick and easy bolognese recipe is the perfect hearty mid-week dinner recipe for cold winter nights! The delicious, traditional-style bolognese sauce is amazing over zoodles for a carb-free option, quinoa pasta for a lower-carb option or fresh egg pasta for a treat meal!
Your choice of 500g zoodles, quinoa pasta or fresh egg pasta
500g of minced beef or Quorn mince (for a vegetarian option)
1 Large Zucchini, finely diced
1 Large Carrot, finely diced
400g of organic tinned tomatoes with no added salt (ie. macro tinned tomatoes)
1 white onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp of tomato paste
Beef or vegetarian stock cube, or a dash of red wine
Salt & pepper
Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast if vegan
Optional: Chilli flakes
- In a large pan, sauté the finely chopped onion and garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil until lightly browned, then add the mince until cooked through - or following directions on the packet if using vegan mince
- In a separate small pan, fry the diced carrot and zucchini with in a tablespoon of olive oil until tender and combine with mince
- Add the tinned tomato, tomato paste, stock cube or wine, herbs and salt and pepper, simmering until reduced to a thicker consistency (around 10-15 minutes)
- For zoodles, fry in a pan until tender. For quinoa or fresh egg pasta, boil in salted water until al-dente.
- Spoon the bolognese over the top of your pasta, finishing off your dish with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast if vegan.