My shopping cart
Your cart is currently empty.Continue Shopping
¼ cup and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
1 brown onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup tomato paste
2 cans diced tomatoes
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh basil, plus additional basil for garnish
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese
1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200c and line a baking tray with paper.
2. Trim the ends of the eggplants and slice around 2cm thick. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs to create an egg wash and have the breadcrumbs ready. Lightly cover each slice with the egg wash, dip into the breadcrumbs and arrange on the baking tray. Season with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan.
3. Roast the eggplant for 20 minutes or until brown and tender.
4. While the eggplants are roasting, in a separate pan create the tomato sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, simmer 2 tablespoons of olive oil, adding in the onions and garlic. Stir in the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce the sauce for about 15 minutes or until it has thickened, then remove the pot from the heat and add in the basil, vinegar, salt, pepper and red chilli flakes.
5. In a baking dish, spread 1/3 of the sauce in a layer on the bottom, arrange the eggplants in a layer and top with another 1/3 of the sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella. Repeat the layering until out of sauce and eggplant slices. Top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and sprinkle parmesan evenly on top.
6. Bake for around 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Let rest for 15 minutes, then serve and enjoy!